Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Imaginary Friends


When children are playing alone on the green,
In comes the playmate that never was seen.
When children are happy lonely and good,
The Friend of the Children comes out of the wood.
.
Nobody heard him and nobody saw,
His is a picture you never could draw,
But he's sure to be present, abroad or at home,
When children are happy and playing alone.
.
He lies in the laurels, he runs on the grass,
He sings when you tinkle the musical glass;
Whene'er you are happy and cannot tell why,
The Friend of the Children is sure to be by!

This poem and picture comes from my wonderful yet tattered book of Children's poetry.

When I was a child, I had unseen friends. We played in the field and the woods together. I remember how I imagined them--beautiful faeries with gorgeously colored wings. Their clothing caught the color of their surroundings. Sometimes I could see them in my imagination, other times I did not. But I was never lonely.
.
Daddy Update: I drove Dad and Mumsie to the Veteran's Hospital. The broken bones in Dad's neck are seated in nicely, but are not healing as quickly as hoped. The surgeon says Dad will wear his neck brace for six months. Dad's bones are soft, and if the bones do not heal, they will have do surgery. The surgeon says the surgery is risky. Please pray Dad defies all expectations and heals faster than anyone could anticipate. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers!

3 comments:

Clytie said...

Very cute poem! I always wished I had an imaginary friend when I was young ... but I didn't, not that I remember anyway.

Lois said...

That is a beautiful poem Beth! I am still praying for your Dad and for your Mom too.

LaraL said...

Hope your Dad is healing fast!
Loved the beautiful poem! My children are at the age when they have the imaginary friends, and I love watching them and listening to their stories!