Friday, November 4, 2011

King Tut Day - Postcard Friendship Friday #88



Today is King Tut Day!  The holiday always falls on November 4th and celebrates the day King Tutankhamen’s tomb was discovered by Howard Carter and his team. 

I have a special place in my heart for King Tut.  I was only ten when I presented a paper about this amazing child king to my fifth grade teacher.  He was only nine when he took the throne of Egypt and only lived until he was 19.  Some researchers believe he died from an accident, others think he might have been murdered.

On this day in 1922, King Tutankhamen's tomb was discovered in Egypt's Valley of Kings.  When Carter held the candle to the opening of the tomb, the golden furniture gleamed back at him.  His partner, Lord Carnarvon who asked, “Can you see anything?” Carter replied with, “Yes, wonderful things.”

It is said when they first entered the tomb, the air was warm and a faint smell of perfume and oil filled the air. To them, the tomb looked as if it had remained intact as the day it had been sealed. 

*  NOTE: You don't have to stick to the theme I choose each Friday. Just put up the postcards you love and tell us why you like them.

*  Don't forget to visit Gemma at Greyscale Territory for Weekend Mailbox.

*  REMINDER: Comments and links which contain advertising and do not refer to any of the following; Postcard Friendship Friday, mailboxes, the Post office, postcards or the love of postcards, will be deleted.

8 comments:

Clytie said...

I too have a fascination for King Tut. I was a freshman in High School when I wrote a piece about him, and won a trip to the King Tut Exhibit in Seattle. It was even more amazing in person, and these "wonderful things" have never since been on display here.

Dorincard said...

Funny card!
Tutankhamun is interesting, but I envy Ramses II...:)

My Egyptology older blogpost (scroll down): http://dorincard.blogspot.com/search/label/Egypt

MrCachet said...

Once again, thanks as always for hosting Postcard Friendly Fridays. I'm playing to day because I can't next week.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I didn't know there was a King Tut day. :) We have guy Fawkes Day tomorrow. the fireworks have already started.

Irene said...

I love King Tut as well, thanks for hosting.

Aimee said...

Cute card! I didn't even know today was King Tut day.

Terra said...

You found the ideal postcard to honor King Tut, and the discovery of the tomb has long fascinated me.

Sreisaat said...

That's a funny postcard! Is it better telling your secret to a Mummy, or send a card to postsecret? :)
Have a happy weekend!

Postcards Crossing